April 22, 2013

Read Up! Four for Fun

From Except If, by Jim Averbeck












When it rains, it pours: my latest load of reading contained a bunch of keepers, and I thought I'd share a few right now!





Shoes for Me!

Sue Fliess & Mike Laughead

An adorable little girl (hippo) has outgrown her shoes, so it's time to go shopping for a new pair.  The store has all kinds of shoes, and this girl is ready to try on every single pair--even if it takes all week!  The art is charming, and the rhymes achieve a chant-like pattern that draws in the reader almost as much as all of the amazing shoes.






Except If
Jim Averbeck
"An egg is not a baby bird, but it it will become one.  EXCEPT IF..." it becomes something else!  We don't meet all of the creatures that hatch from eggs in this short & simple book, but we do meet a few--and we learn not to always assume the egg will hatch to reveal a bird!  The book is circular, meaning it ends where it begins--but not in such a way to make you groan, I promise.  Share this with your favorite dinosaur lover.





I Dare You Not to Yawn
Hélène Boudreau & Serge Bloch
When I saw this book laying on my desk, I couldn't not pick it up.  It wasn't just the audacious dare; it was the bold, colorful & sassy art, another throwback to the 1950s-era UPA cartoons whose style always pulled me in.  Just look at the profile views of yawning creatures inside, their heads gaping open as if hinged in the back!  The idea of the book is that a boy is warning the reader that if a grownup sees them yawning, the next step for them is going to be pajamas & bed.  The challenge of the book is getting through it without yawning; I am yawning repeatedly as 
I write this!


A Gold Star for Zog
Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler
The team who brought us The Gruffalo have another great one with this rhyming story for anyone who loves dragons, knights & princesses!  Zog the dragon tries to do well in Dragon School, but he does get a fair amount of help along the way. It seems things turn out best for everyone after they all learn to follow their hearts & their dreams.




Check these books out! Have fun with them, & let me know what you think. Do you have any favorite books about dragons, or bedtime, or shoes--or whatever? Please let me know! 

Click on this link & READ UP!  I have many more great books to share with you!





No comments: