April 13, 2013

Read Up! And be Yourself.

In my most recent "Read Up" entry, I shared a fun book with a them of individuality, and said I'd be sharing my ideas of other books that would go well together for a "same" theme.  Well, here they are, starting with the book a repeat of what I wrote about that jumping-off book from the last-time around!




The Hueys in The New Sweater Oliver Jeffers
 "The thing about the Hueys...was that they were all the same."  All the same until one of them--Rupert--knitted himself a sweater; now he was different.  Before long, everyone would be different--in the exact same way!  It's fun to see the lightbulbs go on over many kids' heads as I share this one.
At a recent storytime, I paired this book with Extra Yarn, due to the link of new sweaters popping up everywhere. 




 

The Sneetches and Other Stories
Dr. Seuss
The Sneetches have a VERY class-conscious society.  The Star-Bellied Sneetches, of course, think they are the best--leaving the non-starred as easy victims to a new huckster in town.  Before long, though, everyone's out a lot of money!  They eventually do learn a lesson, though, and there's plenty of Seuss rhyme along the way!













The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Pinkwater
and 
The Araboolies of Liberty Street by Sam Swope & Barry Root
I love to read these two together whenever I can!  Both begin in neighborhoods where the houses all look all the same--and when the bland uniformity is threatened, H.O.A. behavior is launched!  I love the dreaminess of Pinkwater's version, and the many opportunities to yell out "I'll call in the army" from the Swope & Root work!


 It's Okay to Be Different
Todd Parr
In a world where people are singled out for ridicule for their differences, we need more creators like Todd Parr.  The wide range of cheerful, colorful differences illustrated here can launch a parent/teacher & child off in all of the other, wonderful ways people can be different.

I'm not sure about the whole "eating macaroni & cheese in the bathtub," though.
 A Penguin's Story
Antoinette Portis
Edna the penguins world is nothing but black, white, & blue--and she knows there must be something different out there.  Edna eventually finds a little color, and it brings excitement to the entire community!  One reaches the end of the book sensing that the penguins' adventure is only just starting.



Yoko

Rosemary Wells
It's a widely-held belief that children are afraid to taste new foods.  Well, their parents are horribly fearful, too!  When Yoko is teased for bringing sushi to school, grown-ups in the storytime audience will often smile & say, "sushi is so good!  I love sushi!"  Okay, smugsters--but would you try natto?  Two things: 1) don't be afraid to try new things, and never say "yuck" about something you've never even tried; 2) if you don't like it, try it again sometime!  But in the meantime, be respectful toward people who do like it.  For instance, I hate macaroni & cheese mixes, but I try not to make a face around people who seem to love the stuff.  I do need to work harder at my poker face, but I do try.  Usually.



Check these books out! Have fun with them, & let me know what you think. Do you have any favorite books about individuality, or trying new things--or whatever? Please let me know!



Click on this link & READ UP!  I have many more great books to share with you!



No comments: