October 22, 2013

Read Up!

Time for another small handful of books for you to check out.  The only connecting thread here is that I happen to like them all!

The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
Tony Wilson & Sue deGennaro
Princesses aren't all they're cracked up to be, but real girls--and frozen peas--sure are cool!  That's the premise of this twist on a "once upon a time" classic, and I sure agree!  The prince in this story: his brother married the "pea princess."  His sister-in-law helped him decide something very important: "...he didn't want to marry a real princess...he wanted to marry the exact opposite.  She didn't have to be beautiful or sensitive.  She just had to like hockey and camping and have a nice smile."  So, do you love this book yet?


Why?
Lila Prap
This is a nonfiction book about animals, and what I really like about it is the fact it can be read at two levels.  The first is the silly joke book that asks questions like, "Why do snakes have legs," and then responds to itself with silly answers like, "because they'd hate cutting their toenails."  The second level of this book is the more detailed, true, explanations to all of the questions.  They're more suited to one-on-one reading, or classroom sharing, than the large preschool storytime groups I often face during my book sharing--but this book is up to satisfy whatever group it can!




Not Me!
Nicola Killen
We're not talking about movies here, but whenever I hear anyone talking about a movie, and they call it "cute," I know that means it is not GOOD.  Well, here we have a very cute book--that I think also happens to be good.  My own rule of thumb has me questioning my judgement, though--so maybe you'd better have a look for yourself!  What I like is all of the clues that children can take in to decide whether the characters of the book are as innocent as they proclaim to be; also, the surprise ending wins me over.  Like I say, see for yourself & tell me what you think.  Maybe it's good, but not at all cute...


Check these books out! Have fun with them, & let me know what you think. Do you have any favorite books about princesses, or animals, or too-cute kids--or whatever? Please let me know! 

Click on this link & READ UP!  I have many more great books to share with you!



No comments: